Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Making do

Today, the snow keeps most of us in the house and wanting some comfort food. These kinds of days test our skills at making do with what we have on hand. I have discovered if you have potatoes, you can just about make anything.

I made a quick cruise through my refrigerator and cupboards. After the basic assessment, I decided to throw pork chops, potatoes, onions and some sort of sauce in a skillet and let it cook on a low temperature for an hour or so.

I dredged the six chops in a mixture of flour, Emeril's Italian Essence, garlic powder and a dab of baking soda. The soda helps the flour mixture adhere to the meat. You can add salt and pepper to taste although I use neither one. Then brown the chops in a tablespoon of hot oil.

When the chops are brown on both sides, add chopped onion. I used about half a medium white onion, but any amount would do. Throw in some mushrooms if you like. I also added four small Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarter-inch rounds.

I could have added Campbell's cheese soup with some picante sauce or sour cream and grated cheddar cheese and milk, I have all those readily available, but instead, I added a jar of Bertolli Four Cheese Rosa and about a half cup of half and half.

Cover and cook slowly until the potatoes are tender.

I also steamed summer squash and carrots with onion and Italian Essence to add color to the meal.

Improvising makes cooking fun. If you do not have potatoes, substitute rice, noodles or pasta. No pork chops, use chicken instead. Happy cooking!

Now for dessert ...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds great. You're braver than I am. I like to have a recipe to work from, although the other night, I made Potato Cakes with Kale. We went the store and I managed to forget the kale, so it became Potato Cakes with Spinach, which was probably better anyway.

    ReplyDelete

We want to hear from you!