Monday, April 25, 2011

Breakfast for dinner

When all else fails and you can’t think of what else to have for dinner, go with breakfast.


I’ve had this blueberry pancake recipe sitting on my kitchen table for at least a month now. I clipped it from a 2009 Cooking Light magazine that a co-worker gave me when she was cleaning out her pantry.


I really liked the weight of these pancakes. And I shoved as many blueberries into them as I could, not just a mere 2 tablespoons. Then I topped my pancakes with a ton of strawberries. (I'd take a picture, but although they were tasty, they weren't pretty. Had some flipping problems.)


Blueberry pancakes

2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)

2.38 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1/2 cup)

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

3/4 cup vanilla fat-free yogurt

2 tablespoons butter, melted

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup fresh blueberries


Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 5 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.


Combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a small bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.


Pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet. Top each pancake with 2 tablespoons blueberries. Cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook 2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.

Yield: 4 servings (2 pancakes per serving)


I had to improvise a bit with the ingredients. One carton of my vanilla yogurt was frozen, so I subbed a bit of strawberry-banana (ate the rest with dinner). And in typing the ingredients, I realized I put in an extra 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Might explain why the pancakes were really fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want to hear from you!